Brian Suda wrote:
On 4/29/07, Jeremy Keith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If we were to find an existing HTML element that was semantically
suited to encoding datetime and/or geo information *and* didn't cause
problems with assistive technology, then I would jump all over it and
agree wholeheartedly that the title-design-pattern should be
restricted to that particular element. But I don't believe such an
element exists.

We skirt the issue by moving data to the title attribute of
alternative elements, how do we know screen-readers now or later won´t
read out those as well? we are coding around a problem by potentiall
creating other ones and ignoring the semantics of the HTML spec in the
process.

Could someone point me to the place(s) where I can read about the advantages and disadvantages of all of the possible ways of encoding data with html document tags and attributes? I realise this might not be in one place. I'd like to help in some way but I feel I'm missing the part where people discussed things like encoding data in class names (e.g. dt-20070605) or partitioning of data in title attributes (i.e. if you want to represent more than one item of data, can you put both in one attribute). Hopefully I won't suggest stupid ideas if I can fully review prior content (without having to review the whole irc/mailman archive hopefully).

Many thanks

Tim Parkin

p.s. so far I think it would be inconsistent to arbitrarily limit the title to just span (if abbr isn't used). Obviousness is a good attribute for a 'format' to have and it's not obvious to me why a title should only appear on a certain element(s) in this case.

p.p.s The examples used above are not suggestions but examples of something that I'm assuming has been discussed previously.