In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Alex Faaborg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

microformat UI design  for Firefox 3

when the user hovers the mouse over an area of the page that contains microformatted content, we will change the cursor to display the associated application (or a generic icon if no default has been selected):

http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/20070426-detectionUI2/ cursorChange.jpg

The mouse cursor change will also hopefully apply to file types and protocols (mailto:, webcal:, etc.)

Firstly, your URLs aren't wrapping properly, in my mail client., Others' do. Is there anything you can do to fix that, or perhaps you could also use TinyURL or similar?

I hope that that behaviour will be user-configurable, so that it can be switched off if desired (I do think it should be on by default, to raise awareness).

In our designs we avoid showing the user the microformat name, and focus on the associated application. Instead of seeing "geo" or "adr" the user will only see "Google Earth" (or a generic picture of a globe if they haven't chosen an application yet, probably on microformat green).

That default colour should change, if there's a green/ yellow/ blue background (for reasons of contrast) or a red background (red-green colour blindness is the most common type).

Due to privacy concerns the browser can't expose the user's default applications to Web sites, so I think Web developers should be encouraged to design based on actions, not data. A green button that says "Send to Calendar" is considerably more useable than a green button that says "hCal" (actually these are often red for some reason, http://microformats.org/wiki/icons).

Be aware also that WCAG and other accessibility guidelines speak against using colour alone to convey information.

Also, I personally think Web designers should be encouraged to use images instead of acronyms.

Amen!

In addition to being more descriptive, they localize better. Here are some I've been showing in various talks:

http://people.mozilla.com/~faaborg/files/20061213-fundamentalTypes/ fundamentalTypesStatic.jpg_large.jpg

Those look good, but I'd like to see them at the size at which they will be used.

The "contact" icon is good for a person, but what of the subject is a group, organisation, or venue? (differentiated by "fn org" instead of "fn")? A different icon should be used.

--
Andy Mabbett