In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes

I wrote a long-ish reply to Andy's post, but I think it vanished into the
mysterious SMTP aether. My sincere apologies if this is double-posted.

It arrived here, via the mailing list, but the content is subtly different, so I'm replying to each.

On the names thing, I suppose I could be tagging something with the name
"John Smith", in which case I'd use rel-tag, or making "John Smith"
available to be downloaded as a vcard, in which case I'd use hcard. The
semantics of "John Smith" haven't changed between those two examples. What
I want to do with the phrase "John Smith" has, so the exact microformat I'd
use depends on what I want to do with the names in the end, more than their
semantics.

But that's dependent on what *you"* want to do. If you use more consistent mark-up, then your users, and parsers, can deal with them as they see fit.

For instance, adding a tag doesn't tell a future search engine that your text is about a person.

--
Andy Mabbett