Martin McEvoy wrote:

Having said that I am thinking re-use XFN rel-contact for this link
type, and use rel-bookmark for backwards compatibility with existing
parsers

The XFN definition says that rel=contact is for people you know how to contact. I certainly don't know how to contact everyone who comments on my blog.

I think the *best* way to indicate that a particular hentry represents a comment would be to rel-tag it as "Comment", but as rel- tags tend to be visible, that's not in keeping with current publishing practice. So class="comment" on the hentry or class="comments" on the hfeed makes more sense to me. I'd probably slightly prefer the former, as it allows for non-comments to also be included in the hfeed (e.g. "updated" messages, pingbacks, etc).

contact could be parsed as the in-reply-to Atom Threading Extension
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4685).

Actually a good alternative to rel="in-reply-to" for describing a hierarchy of comments might be rel="up" to indicate a link to a comment further up the hierarchy. rel="up" is not standardised in HTML 4.01, but is widely used, and included in the current HTML5 drafts.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>