Hi all,

Ed asked if I had any comments from a user point of view. For our lending
operations, it would be great to maintain the ability to create a back-dated
loan, since there is often lag time between the date a loan is disbursed and
when the receipt transaction is posted to Mifos. The lag time is not ideal
but it happens, so it’s helpful to have that flexibility so that the payment
installment dates will be correct. I do agree it may be more accurate to
call the function “create back-dated loan”, since I would associate “create
historical loan” with data migration functions.

Emily and Keith pointed out the limitations of using the ‘redo loan’
function in data migration, due to client and production dates. In Nuru's
original deployment, I had hoped to enter historical loan data to capture
credit history. We actually did enter a set of backdated loans by changing
the server date, but it ultimately caused problems when we transitioned to
Amazon EC2 (Nayan and his team had to fix these errors for us – thanks
Conflux!) and we had to change the issue date to reflect loan product
creation dates.

I realize it may not be possible/desirable, but it would be useful to be
able to migrate historical loan data, both for organizations deploying Mifos
several years into their operations and for organizations that hope to use
data in Mifos to eventually develop internal credit scoring capacity. I’m
not sure if that’s a direction Mifos development wants to take, but thought
I’d mention it. Maybe it would be better to import that data into BI for a
custom report.

Thanks for your work, looking forward to the next release!
Vivian