Rob MacGregor wrote:
On 1/29/07, Ben Kamen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Yea, I meant to control port 25 egress from nets like Cable/DSL/Dialup users...

Me, personally, I'd hate it.  I can deliver mail faster and more
reliably (from past experience) than my ISP.  When that's not an
option I relay via my domain hosts, who may not be quite as reliable
as my ISP, but aren't on as many blacklists :)  I'd love them to use
the submission port, but they're not even close to that clueful.

I'm not even that sure it would help the spam problem.  The majority
of the spam I receive these days come via ISP mail servers or open
relays.  This may of course simply mean that I'm not receiving a
"normal" pattern of spam...

I would also agree there. The big TelCo ISP's are so clueless it's not even
funny.
Rather than elaborate a long boring story about more incompetence, I'll just nod my head profusely.

Ok, so port:25 blocking still seems to be a bad idea for the mostpart because
ISP's (in general) still do not have their act together. (and looking
at how they spend their money probably never will.)
(groan)

-Ben