--On Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:42 PM -0500 "Kevin A. McGrail" <kmcgr...@pccc.com> wrote:

I don't know.  I don't think many people have much information about the
exploit.

The blog link I posted earlier indicates that it's the jbig2 decompression code that fails with a crafted jbig2 object, and shows how to trigger it. JavaScript is used to get malicious code onto the heap so that when the object is decompressed, it crashes into the code. So even if you disable JS, you still get a crash, just not an easy way to get it to jump to code the attacker controls.

The patch (in the form of a replacement DLL) addresses the bug in the decompresser, and causes a popup error message, instead.