2013/7/18 Václav Zeman <vhais...@gmail.com>

> On 07/15/2013 12:02 PM, Jacek Caban wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Please review following patches:
> >

> http://repo.or.cz/w/mingw-w64/jacek.git/commitdiff/45606ff91bcf7bf34e81acc13ce239bc524290cd
> > Let's get rid of empty files.
> >

> http://repo.or.cz/w/mingw-w64/jacek.git/commitdiff/7de73e013cbeec88464d19b07bccfc46285c35a5
> > Inline functions are better way for forwarding calls, esp. in this case.
> > When we talked about those forwards, I always assumed that those will be
> > inlines. Other than the usual less namespace pollution and being less
> > sensitive to user code preprocessor tricks, it allows us to have proper
> > calling convention. In this case, they would be usually inlined anyway,
> > so calling convention doesn't matter much, but having them properly
> > declared is better, IMO, and I can imagine valid use cases where it
> matters.
> Hi.
>
> I took a look at the patches and as far as I understand it, you are
> changing Interlocked*() calls to system DLL functions into inline
> functions that will produce interlocked instructions inline in the TU
> where I use the Interlocked*() functions.
>
> To me this looks like trading future proof solution for speed. Also, it
> is POLA violation.

Principle of Least Astonishment? If all present and future code work in the
same way as they did, and do on MSVC, I see no astonishment if the
implementation details are different.

But hey, I know absolutely nothing about this whole intrinsic discussion,
just thought it was a strange remark, is all.

Ruben