On 9/16/2013 4:38 AM, JonY wrote:
> On 9/16/2013 19:17, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> IMO, trunk is a stable branch that all other branches evolve from.
>> You create a working branch named for the next release that all work
>> is done to and is unstable up until the call for testing.  After the
>> call for testing only bug fixes for that release occur that are found
>> within the soon to be released branch.  Just before releasing that
>> working branch is merged into trunk and tagged for the release.  A new
>> working branch is created from the merged trunk to continue
>> development.  If there is a bug fix for the previous release you use
>> the previous working branch to make the bug fix, merge that fix back
>> to trunk, tag the trunk with the bug fix version, then merge trunk
>> with the new working branch.  In this way, trunk becomes the master of
>> the work and should always be usable regardless of the stage of
>> development.  The only time trunk should be a working branch is for a
>> new project where there is no release.
>>
> What? No, you have it backwards, trunk is where all development work
> will take place, unless the code in question is known to be broken
> work-in-progress code. There is already a /stable branch code, we don't
> need another stable branch, maybe another /stable/latest to point to the
> latest stable as new releases are made.

I have been with groups that used the trunk as the stable, released and
released-patched source and side branches for developing the next
release and other groups that used the trunk as the current development
source and various branches as the released and patched-released
source;  in the first case, the trunk will be development prior to the
very first release.  It is like little endian and big endian --
different groups have opted for different choices.

But I am puzzled by the following in the last quoted para above: "trunk
is where all development work will take place, unless the code in
question is known to be broken work-in-progress code" -- if the trunk is
where all the development work will take place then it is
work-in-progress code and is likely to have bugs (because it would not
have undergone release tests); in this situation, the only guarantee one
can enforce is that before commits, people ensure that the trunk
compiles and passes any regression tests.