Robert Elz dixit:

>there is no right answer - and that the only rational result is that portable
>scripts cannot expect to be able to exec a function (or any builtin that is

Yes, but the others in this thread want to allow portable scripts
to rely on the exec builtin always resulting in a PATH search.
This is extra effort on my side *and* limiting.

Martijn Dekker dixit:

>Another fact is that pdksh was intended to be a clone of ksh88. Thus,

Not fully, and never exactly. With mksh that’s no part of the
mission statement any more anyway, although I believe it has
not been in pdksh for a while before its death in 1999 either.

>Every other shell except zsh acts like ksh88. And the zsh devs just
>fixed the problem for its POSIX mode the other day.

This sucks…

>Since you appear to feel strongly about this, maybe a compromise would
>be to make mksh act like ksh88 for POSIX mode only.

Yeah, let’s add more conditional code… I just did that ☹

>| The use of "program" and "overlaid the shell" here means that the
>| standard clearly does not allow the execution of built-in utilities and
>| functions.

I completely disagree, especially when combined with other wording.

But, well, POSIX was never among the more useful standards…

bye,
//mirabilos
--
“It is inappropriate to require that a time represented as
 seconds since the Epoch precisely represent the number of