On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 11:15:35AM -0700, Gary Clemans-Gibbon wrote:
> I have a co-located 3.4 web/mail box at a remote location with a P3
> 1.2Ghz and
> 1Gb RAM (on-board LAN and video). At home I have another copy of the exact
> same motherboard but with a Celeron 1.1Ghz and 512 Gb RAM.
>
> The question is, can I install 3.7 on the box at home and then simply
> take out the HDD
> and swap it into the co-lo server? Will it care that it was installed on
> a different CPU with less
> RAM?

Thanks to GENERIC kernel, this kind of thing will often work even on a
completely different motherboard/cpu.

When I upgraded from an old Athlon XP to a new Athlon 64 my OpenBSD
install didn't mind a bit.

So, you really shouldn't have any issues. This just shows the
advantages of GENERIC approach vs. loadable modules.