dereck wrote:
Look, I don't 'act all tough on the net'.  I just
refuse to sit idly by while mamby pamby whiners are spouting crap. And, in real life, I'd say the same thing to him.

On this I'll have to draw the line - that is plainly
Bullshit.  You would not say anything like this to his
or her face, because you are a coward hiding behind
your keyboard.  In the "real world" no one would take
what you dish on this list, and that is the plain
fact.  No company or government job would put up with
it.  We have to because it is a public list.  But you
are so full of it that it is painful to watch.  You
would not say these things and stay gainfully
employed.

Not true. I have spoken my mind many times in-person and at work, to managers and presidents. I have never been fired for anything I've said because I don't attack people personally. I would gladly have a discussion in real-life with anyone on this list. Only a fool or someone as immature as you would actually get so defensive. Rational people can disagree cannot they not? They can argue points without breaking into a fist-fight, can't they? Maybe you don't understand the difference between arguing a point and just arguing.

You are driving people away from trying and using
OBSD, and I (for one) hope that you are at least proud
of yourself.  This is the MISC list, for crissakes,
and we should be more helpful to newbies.  As a
technical project, Linux is a mess; but it continues
to grow not in small part to the esprit de corps that
the users openly encourage.  Newbie questions on Linux
lists are not discouraged, and a "keep at it - it'll
come" encouragement is not at all unusual.  They are
even proud of getting their grandmothers to use it!

Never once during this thread have I advocated NOT helping new people. Please re-read my response to the original post. I have never once discouraged someone from participating on this list and have helped whenever and wherever I can.

We, by contrast, have to put up with the "better than
you" attitude from the vocal minority on this list
which reminds one unpleasantly of Jerry Fallwell,
Osama bin Liden, and other wacko religious crowds.

Put a sock in it, Rick.  Almost everyone met your type
in grade school.  Small boys who pick fights with
younger girls, or kick the neighbor's dog, are not
uncommon.  You are not "keeping it real," or "setting
the story straight," or "protecting us from assholes."
You ARE the asshole.

Hahaha are you saying I'm a wacko, a terrorist? Why, because I have an opinion I feel strongly about, tried to make a point, and am defending my assertions? This is what I'm talking about. The world is being conditioned such that if you argue with someone, you're the enemy. Grow up. Oh, and thanks for calling me an asshole. You made my day.

If you will stop "protecting us" maybe the user base
will expand. [And yes, I'll be glad to answer
questions and help - with money, time, and anything
else.]

Haha. Who cares if the user base expands. The OpenBSD team doesn't. Go read some documentation. They code this stuff for their own pleasure/use. I happen to like the system and come along for the ride.

And if anyone wants to come to my house and discuss it over tea or coffee or anything let me know and I'll give you my address.

rvb