On 6/13/05, Johan P. Lindstrvm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> - dc, em and sk seems to be the way to go, but what to for quad port
> cards? where to find one, brand names, model numbers, revisions

I have a number of machines deployed using the Intel PRO/1000 MT
quad GigE PCI-X cards, mostly in Dell PowerEdge systems.   They
work great, though I'm not really pushing the limits.

> Any one tried the low end on DELL servers (tower models)?

TMK, no Dell server offers a supported SATA controller, this includes the
low-end rackmount systems with an embedded SATA controller.  Go SCSI.

Many rackmount Dell products (e.g. PE1850) are available with hardware
RAID on an ami "MegaRAID" controller, these work great with OpenBSD,
as noted by Stuart Henderson.

> or is it a better move to build your own by ordering parts,
> if so, what is popular here?

If you need a support contract on the hardware, rack-dense servers,
or are looking for a highly available server with dual-power and a hot
swap drive enclosure, then building your own may not be an option.

> What I am looking for is HW mirroring of drives with hotswap for
> webservers and quadport nic's

The ability to hot-swap drives requires that everything in the chain
must support hot swap -- the controller, the drive, and the SCSI
enclosure or backplane.  This is where buying an integrated server
pays off  -- if you blow something up in the process of hot-swapping
drives, you just have one vendor to deal with, no finger-pointing.

Kevin Kadow