All of the traffic pretty much will be passing over the router.  I see
the wisdom of what you are saying with redesigning the network and I
will give it some thought, but the majority of the resources are
located in one spot.  I will mull that over though.  As it stands, only
some students doing filesharing would not pass the router.

I am liking the VLAN concept more and more for the less active
segments.  The whole thing has to fit into the budget.  We have a few
Cisco 3500XL switches that I think support VLAN, so I could task one of
those to the job probably.

After Henning pointed out to me with the SK cards I don't need to go
the route of the quad, I am planning on the SK dual port cards.
http://www.syskonnect.com/products/sk-9s22.htm - but when I searched it
seems like the .2 revs are becoming hard to find and the .3 is
unsupported.

Phooey

--

Bill Chmura