hmm, on Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 12:02:42PM +0200, Alexander Hall said that
> Ted Unangst wrote:
> >On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, Alexander Hall wrote:
> >

> >>I think that bad stuff happens when I move directories around. Windows
> >>checkdisk (at boot time) once complained about a lot of "." and ".."
> >>directory
> >>entried that were invalid. I cannot recall if this was done remotely using
> >>shlight or nfs, or local.
> >

> >there are some issues with msdos, particularly in the directory writing
> >code.  making or moving directories tends to result in badness.
>
> Oh, that's bad. I have never heard of that before. So running windows on
> the machine and remotely mounting the disk using shlight should be the
> preferred way?
>
> (I realize the preferred way would be to not use windows at all and
> mount_nfs a remote ffs file system but that is not my setup right now)
>
> Maybe a warning in in mount_msdos about mounting MS-DOS file systems
> read-write, like the one in mount_ntfs, would be in order?

i think mount_msdos should be disabled as of now.
it is/was causing me too much grief...  i don't understand
how can be the quality of the vfat file system so bad in openbsd.
it does not go hand in hand with the great quality and stability
of the system.  if nobody cares to fix it, disable it like mount_null.

i also don't understand how is it possible that operations on this
"primitive" file system "tends to result in badness".
especially when so much reference implementations are floating
around (all the other bsd's, linux, embedded devices).

fix it or disable it.  it is giving openbsd a bad name.

forgive me my bitterness.  i am mourning my lost files.

-f
--
the best defense against laser is to polish your ship.