On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 07:11:03AM -0400, the unit calling itself Nick Holland
wrote:

> There's only one RAID system that I think is anything close to as simple
> as you desire:
> > Accusys ACS-7500 or its competitors.
> > No equity position in any of them.
>
> And yes, that's it. :)
>
> I'll admit to a lot of "sweat equity" in the Accusys ACS7500.  I love
> the things -- the simplicity, the fact that they usually "just work", etc.

Actually, there seem to be three (3) similar offerings:

Accusys (http://www.accusys.com.tw/, or
         http://www.accusysusa.com/index.htm)

Accordance (http://www.accordancesystems.com/)

ArcoIDE (http://www.arcoide.com/)

They all seem to have pretty uninformative or confusing info on their
websites, and they all appear to be "hard to find" (in that retailers
are few and far between). It's encouraging to hear that you've had a
positive experience with the Accusys hardware.

> Anyway...you HAVE to spend time getting to know whatever RAID solution
> you are using.  Practice, practice, practice!!!  Try swapping drives --
> what happens if you swap a drive with a larger drive?  smaller drive?
> how does it indicate errors?  etc...  In short: never trust anyone else
> to haul your butt out of the fire.

Not quite sure what point you're trying to make here... are you
advocating that one develop expertise in all areas to become totally
self-sufficient? If so, I suppose you are all at once: thoracic surgeon,
firefighter, psychiatrist, tax lawyer, microbiologist, etc, etc, etc.

Jay