Followup-to: poster

Marco Peereboom <slash <at> peereboom.us> writes:

> All lies.  Nothing to see there.  Just someone who took some code and
> pretends it's theirs.

$ man mksh | fgrep -C3 recognises
AUTHORS
     The MirBSD Korn Shell is developed by Thorsten Glaser <t...@mirbsd.org> and
     currently maintained as part of The MirOS Project. This shell is based
     upon the Public Domain Korn SHell. The developer of mksh recognises the
     efforts of the pdksh authors, who had dedicated their work into Public
     Domain, our users, and all contributors, such as the Debian and OpenBSD
     projects. See the documentation, CVS, and web site for details.

No pretending there. Everything I wrote in the last
nine or so years though is mine. Furthermore, the
actual definition of Public Domain is that everyone
can just btakeb it.

I do admit I have started working on mksh a lot only
after oksh cleanup and development had begun anew,
but itbs gained a LOT of traction on its own. And
happy users. (Android-x86 and Android 3, anyone?)

> These so called changes are mostly build script
> and other uninteresting updates.

*laugh*

Yes, the build script was a PITA (do you know how
many broken shells are out there?), but itbs working
and rather stable now b the rest of the shell is
still being developed *very* actively. I just wish
I had a part of the 1.7 Million US$ Ohloh says itbs
worthb& ah yes, the ellipsis I so like to write; mksh
handles UTF-8 just fine (in the Emacs editing mode
and the scripting part, not the Vi editing mode,
admittedly b patches welcome).

> ksh works fine; it is maintained etc.

Yeah, sure.

x=$(case $foo in bar) echo baz ;; *) echo nope ;; esac)

Just try this with oksh. Oh, and a gazillion other
things. Ibm investing quite some work to align mksh
with POSIX as well (mostly).

Kevin Chadwick wrote:

> I was going to replace the link from /bin/sh to dash with pdksh but I'm
> guessing something somewhere will break!!

Yes, it will. In Debian, neither pdksh nor ksh93 (!) are suitable
for use as /bin/sh whereas mksh (although not necessarily the
version in a stale release) is. This is off-topic for openbsd-misc,
but considering that it had been mentioned already, this warning is
probably justified. Still, my apologies for bringing in mentions of
That Other OS.

And as a parting note (yes, Ibll not even lurk here), Francois
Pussault, youbre writing uninformed rubbish. (Although, NetBSDB.
1.5 and older cannot have their /bin/sh replaced by mksh, only
their /bin/ksh, otherwise they wonbt boot, and repairing that
on a DECstation/pmax took me a while. NetBSDB. 1.6 and up, and
OpenBSD, however can. MidnightBSD uses mksh as its shell, even.)