On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 7:01 PM, roberth <rob...@openbsd.pap.st> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2011 15:38:46 -0700
> Tyler Morgan <tyl...@tradetech.net> wrote:
>
>> On 5/4/2011 10:04 AM, Josh Grosse wrote:
>> http://www.ec
>
> (plz all stop pushing that links search engine rank.)
>
>> I think this is mainly due to the fact that softraid can't be used
>> for the root partition (or booted off of, for now). This leads
>> everyone to follow RAIDFrame guides to install OpenBSD onto software
>> RAID1, but nobody bothers to mention that RAIDFrame isn't actually
>> maintained anymore.

Give the man a kewpie doll!!!

I'm dealing with modest server hardware, which didn't have workable
hardware RAID. I've found the hardware RAID compatibility chart to be
awkward: much of the recommended hardware is no longer manufactured or
not sufficiently specified to rely on. Naming a chipset is not enough:
a model number is really ideal, because saying "LSI" or "Dell Perc"
covers dozens of different cards, some of which may be very reliable
but others are not. I used to recommend 3Ware from good experience and
and general UNIX/Linux compatibillity, but they got bought by LSI:
gods only know what their quality is these days.

Also, I just went and tried the sensible guidelines at
http://jpiasetz.tumblr.com/post/483365684/software-raid-on-openbsd-using-softraid,
which use softraid for non-/boot partitions. Seems reasonable, but
this command simply fails:

    # bioctl -C force -c 1 -l /dev/wd0d,/dev/wd1d softraid0
    # dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0c bs=1m count=1
    bioctl: Can't locate raid0 device via /dev/bio

The documentation on bioctl is reasonably, and detailed, and not very
useful due to not having examples for noobs.