On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 05:31:54AM +0930, David Walker wrote:
> Bonjour.
>

> [...]
>
> For the speed readers:
>
> This won't work in aliases ...
> postmaster:root
>
> This will work in aliases ...
> postmaster:root@your.domain
>
> [...]
>
> No cats were harmed.
> Caveat ... I'm getting my feet wet with mail on smtpd so if this is
> expected behaviour ... have a larf and some vino and let me know.

Nope, it is not expected behavior and it's actually quite a strange bug
as I use lots of aliases on my box and did not ever see this :-/

I got a bad and a good news though.

The bad news is that smtpd's aliases have been broken for a long time.
They are not broken in an unpredictable and unreliable way, but they do not
always
lead to expansions that one with habit of another mta would expect. This is
particularly true when you have aliases referencing aliases
(postmaster->root->user
for example) let alone if ~/.forward files are in the way.

The good news ... well, I've rewritten aliases support recently.
It's not yet ready to be committed because it's part of a larger and
unsplittable
diff that does some pretty invasive cleanups/changes, but it might be ready by
the
end of this week.

I'll look at your issue to try to understand it but I'm not sure it's even worth
trying to fix the broken aliases knowing they will be gone in a few days.

> Best wishes.

Thanks ;-)

--
Gilles - http://users.poolp.org/~gilles/