On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Patrick Oeschger <
patrick.oesch...@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> thank you for your input
> why 'only' 400mbit?
> the specs say 2gbit for BCM5862 in a pci-e 4x slot...
> sounds like quite some overhead writing/ getting packets to/from the card -
> i would have expected it higher but i do not want to question your tests
> *hmmm*
>
> Sent from Pat's iPhone

Hi!

There is of course a possibility, that the test doesn't simulate reality in
the best way.
The specs say 2gbit, but when doing 400mbps there isn't much power left on
machines main cpu (10% idle).
So i guess the limiting factor here is main cpu not the CA card.
I have done the same tests with 1,8 GHz opteron and in that case the result
was around 270mbps.

Joosep