On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 03:48:59AM +0200, Benny Lofgren wrote:
> On 2011-06-22 03.03, vadi...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> Please continue to use Linux.
> >> That's ugly, useless and dangerous.
> >
> > Oops, looks like that was a "holy war" type of question. Sorry I did
> > not want to start that.
> >
> >> If you want Linux, use Linux.
> >
> > It's not that I want specifically Linux. I've just decided to look for
> > a system that cat satisfy me from the usability point of view. I do
> > not care if that will be Linux or *BSD or Solaris or whatever  else.
> > The main idea was that the work with the system should be a pleasure,
> > not a pain :)
>
> What you should do is relearn the proper way. :-)
>
> Consider the fact that Unix have been around since the 1970's, and the
> *BSD flavor is as direct a descendant of the original look, feel and
> intent as you can possibly find today.
>
> Linux is, in that regard, an abomination. It's the bastard child of
> someone not properly trained in the "unix way", who made stuff up
> as he went without regard for history, continuity, elegance or, for
> that matter, backwards compatibility.
>
> I feel the same way as you do, only the other way around. I really
> can't stand using a linux system for any length of time. Everything
> is similar, but different. Or different, but similar. And so darn stupid!
>
> Linus didn't do his homework properly. That, combined with the fact that
> Linux became such a huge success is both a blessing and a curse to us
> in the unix community; on the one hand Linux provides us with plenty of
> young blood in a new generation of hackers... while on the other hand
> they can't speak properly!

Oh please, Linus wrote the kernel, not Ubuntu. If you hate coreutils or
getopt, blame the respective groups that developed them and not someone
writing a kernel, a long time ago.

This rose tinted "OpenBSD is the greatest" shit really gets on my
nerves. It's all fun to bash others, but from time to time you have to
look at their stuff and figure out which parts they did right and you
could improve.

Blah blah misc@