On 2011-07-15, MG <mas...@fourseasonsnow.com> wrote:
> On 7/14/2011 9:31 PM, Kenneth R Westerback wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 11:28:44PM +0200, rancor wrote:
>>> Are there many updates of the source that is not published as an
>>> errata (on stable)?
>> Yes.
>>
>> .... Ken
>>
>>> // rancor

> Forgive my ignorance, but does this mean that if I were to install
> OpenBSD 4.9 via FTP today, there shouldn't be random IPsec disconnects
> as described in bug PR6601?  Thanks.

OpenBSD 4.9 release is from a fixed point in time, it will not be changed.
See http://www.openbsd.org/stable.html, here are a few selected excerpts
relevant to this thread:

   Starting with 2.7, OpenBSD provides a source tree that contains
   important patches and fixes (i.e. those from the errata plus others
   which are obvious and simple, but do not deserve an errata entry) and
   makes it available via CVS, in addition to the -current source. Thus,
   users can choose three options :

     * Stick with our latest release and apply the patches by hand.
     * Use the patch branch which has those patches.
     * Use current source for all of the latest features.

     * Errata entries are made for bugs which affect many people. Other
       patches may be merged into the patch branch if they affect a few
       people in drastic ways.

       Maintaining the patch tree takes a lot of effort which could be
       better spent on making our next release better.

   It is worth pointing out the name -stable refers ONLY to the API and
   operations of OpenBSD not changing, not the overall reliability of the
   system. In fact, if things go as desired, the -current flavor of
   OpenBSD, on its way to becoming the next -release, will be an
   improvement in reliability, security and overall quality over the
   previous -release and -stable.