On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 7:00 PM, Per-Olov SjC6holm <p...@incedo.org> wrote:
> On 23 aug 2011, at 19:30, Tomas Bodzar wrote:

>>> How fast is your CPU ?
>>>
>>> Yes I can see the 1.254 commit with this came in after the 4.9 release
that
>>> use. I can try to see if I can measure any performance gain with this
> update.
>>>
>>> I will try this from aug 17...
>>> http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/os/OpenBSD/snapshots/i386/install50.iso
>>
>> Can't see that mirror here http://www.openbsd.org/ftp.html , it's
>> better to use something more official
>>

>>> I4ll get back....
>>>
>>> [ YES !! More fun tests.... :D ]
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> Per-Olov
>>>

> Have tried it now... I tried the 5.0 snapshot from aug 17 with the improved
em
> driver. Also tested with more allocated cores and the SMP kernel.
>
> Result on 5.0 snapshot with improved em driver:
>
> - SMP
> worse. Really sucks! _Dramatically_ reduced throughput.

Will be fine to see systat ; systat mbufs ; netstat -m ; vmstat -i and
compare them with previous version. Including dmesg (if something
changed in dmesg)

> - One processor core (as most of my tests have used)
> An improvement, but very little. Maybe 10% better

As stated in some of links and posts sent to you - SMP doesn't offer
better throughput/sped automatically. You need to test on i386
non-SMP/SMP and amd64 non-SMP/SMP to see what's best.