On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:08:22AM +0200, Jan Stary wrote:

> On Oct 22 04:41:56, Philippe Meunier wrote:
> > Kenneth R Westerback wrote:
> > >If you are using dhclient, then /etc/resolv.conf is not really a
> > >configuration file.
> >
> > Unless your machine runs its own DNS server.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what would be an example
> situation for using a machine that simultaneously
>
> (1) acts as a name-server for others
> (2) gets its network settings dynamicaly reconfigured

An example would be an ISP that uses DHCP to maintain a DSL connection. Even
with a static IP address, I *must* get it using a DHCP client and keep it
running so the lease is properly renewed. If the lease isn't renewed on
time, the connection just stops routing IP. Even with a static IP address.

Since I run my own resolving DNS server, it was annoying that the DHCP
server not only gave me my static IP address, but also the addresses of the
ISP's resolving name servers. I just used "chflags uchg /etc/resolv.conf",
until I properly read the manual and discovered how I can use the supersede
option in dhclient.conf:

supersede domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
supersede domain-name "";

Regards,
--
Jurjen Oskam