Hey.

Currently my backup regime is woeful.
I have years worth of work on a Windows machine and some stuff
scattered across OpenBSD machines.

I'm thinking of building a machine (the file server) to provide some
backup and central storage.
I'll probably try and get my head around softraid for redundancy
redundancy on the file server and I'm looking at these ideas for data
transfer ...

Being able to push data to the server manually from Windows and other
operating systems over the network. SSH or IPsec or similar is my idea
here.

Having some mechanism where I can pull onto the server from the
clients at selected times or poll the machines for changes and update
the server or something.
I have no experience here and I'm thinking about acronyms like NFS,
rsync, etcetera.

This is for a small number of machines and low rate data changes but
if I can find something that's in base, scalable, robust, secure,
simple, quick ...
:]

Please give me some recommended acronyms, man pages, etcetera.

Best wishes.