On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM, David Walker <davidianwal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey.
>
> Currently my backup regime is woeful.
> I have years worth of work on a Windows machine and some stuff
> scattered across OpenBSD machines.

Uh-oh.

> I'm thinking of building a machine (the file server) to provide some
> backup and central storage.
> I'll probably try and get my head around softraid for redundancy
> redundancy on the file server and I'm looking at these ideas for data
> transfer ...
>
> Being able to push data to the server manually from Windows and other
> operating systems over the network. SSH or IPsec or similar is my idea
> here.

Pull through CIFS mounting, don't try to pull over SSH. (See the old
thread at http://fixunix.com/ssh/73787-mcafee-cygwin-ssh.html .)

Also, running rsync on a Windows box is..... fragile, due to the way
Windows locks processes when they try to "open" a file that is "busy".
It makes rsync very fragile because the set of such files is almost
impossible to pre-identify and exclude, and some of them are really
important, such as Outlook backups.

That said, there's a very useful toolkit called "rsnapshot" that I've
been using for years which is very flexible and can easily be targeted
at CIFS shares. I've been using it on numerous UNIX and Linux systems,
including OpenBSD, quite effectively.

> Having some mechanism where I can pull onto the server from the
> clients at selected times or poll the machines for changes and update
> the server or something.
> I have no experience here and I'm thinking about acronyms like NFS,
> rsync, etcetera.

The one you want is "CIFS", where the BSD system can mount authorized
shares from the Windows boxes using the Samba software.