On 02/09/12 12:54, Otto Moerbeek wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 06:15:50PM +0100, Jan Stary wrote:
>
>> Replying to myself,
>
> [snip]
>
>> Things might change if (1) the cvsroot is remote (2) it is not
>> the same for all files. I will try that next.
>>
>>      Jan
>
> That last case (remote repo's and different Roots) is the actual case I
> have observerd multipe times.
>
> There might be playing other facts though, but I'm curious what that
> test case shows.

cvs does some weird s**t from time to time.  I've had the chance to
watch it on a public server..it only gets weirder when you watch it there.

SOMETIMES -- and I do not know why -- it builds a tree in the cvs
server's tmp dir (which is probably something like /repo/anoncvs/tmp in
a good mirror), which is as almost as big as the repo it is serving --
I've seen 600+M in size for a single user.  That's a lot of disk
thrashing, 'specially if it is on the same disk with a few other people
doing checkouts or updates, and maybe serving install, too.  Yeah, I was
able to throw massive amounts of disk I/O and a MFS tmp dir at it, but
not all mirrors have that kind of throughput under those circumstances.
(keep in mind, on i386, MFS can be no bigger than a hair under 1GB, and
600MB is a non-trivial chunk of that.  And if a CVS process disconnects
prematurely, the tmp file never gets purged by cvs).

I do not know why it does those 600M temp dirs...sometimes (usually?),
it does just a few MB.  Combine a few people having a nasty update (with
the 600MB tmp dirs), slow disk I/O on the server and a lot of disk
thrashing...well, uh...no, I STILL can't explain a nine (plus!) hour
update, but I do think a large chunk of the problem may be on the
server's side.  and possibly, if you have multiple servers in different
parts of the tree, maybe multiple servers.

But no, I'm NOT going to advise people to blow away all their CVS/Root
files routinely, for the most part, I find them more useful than harm,
but there are a FEW times when it would be appropriate to do so, so a
FAQ entry will be coming on this.  As trouble resolving thing...great.
I've thought about CHANGING all my Root files (as I'm going to have to
change my mirror soon...and I'm hoping, soon again after that), simply
deleting them and having them recreate is quite nifty, wish I had
thought of that. :)

Nick.