My apologies if the redactions cause improper attributions, but
this has gotten very deep, and Dhu replied to himself.  For readability
I've tried to wrap lines, too.

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 03:37:25PM -0700, Duncan Patton a Campbell wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:52:27 -0600
> Carson Chittom <car...@wistly.net> wrote:
>
> > Duncan Patton a Campbell <campb...@neotext.ca> writes:
> >
> > > On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 09:16:34 -0700
> > > Duncan Patton a Campbell <campb...@neotext.ca> wrote:
...[snip]...

> > > So, the problem appears to be that you cannot check out a 5.0-Stable
> > > source tree
> > > directly on a 5.0-Release system, but instead must "prime" the
> > > tree with the
> > > Release code and then checkout the Stable stuff on top.
> >
> > No.  You're wrong.  At least, I did exactly what you said I "cannot"
> > do.  I installed (from CD) 5.0-release, and then cvs co'd -stable;
> > and then installed per the usual directions.  From dmesg:
> >

> read and weap.  i did.  when you do a cd install, it puts
> src (sys), and xenocara in /usr.  that "primes" the src/sys
> tree.  if you then _move_ those trees out of the way entirely,
> and do a cvs checkout of the whole tree, well that what *I* saw

Many people, for many years, have been able to checkout a tagged working
directory from CVS.  I believe this is a PEBKAC, but not the one described.

Because the error appeared to be an out-of-sync issue, I would have liked
to see the output of:

ls -l `which config`
cat /usr/src/sys/CVS/Tag

That would have at least confirmed if the kernel source tree and the config
were of appropriate vintages.

Dhu, an additional suggestion: instead of uname -anything, please use
sysctl kern.version.  It produces far more useful information about your
specific kernel. I sent you a note earlier today via Email, apparently it's
still in your MTA queue.