On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 07:26:30AM +0100, Dmitrij D. Czarkoff wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 16:40 -0700, Barry Grumbine wrote:
> > Available disks are: sd0 sd1 sd2
> > Which one is the root disk? (or 'done') [sd0]
> >
> > At this point I usually say "oh crap", hit ^c, and go read the dmesg
> > or `disklabel sd1` to make sure I pick the right disk.
>
> That's interesting, as for me bsd.rd only creates sd0, so I have to find
> the right sdN in dmesg and then "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV sdN" if I want to
> install OS there...

That strikes me as an interesting error. The install process is
supposed to create any device needed when you select a disk. i.e.
the 'makedev $resp || exit' line at the end of install.sub.

These days the script even automatically adjusts the list of disks
when devices are plugged in or removed.

Can you provide more details/confirmation of the need to manually
create devices on 5.1 or -current?

.... Ken