Otto Moerbeek <otto <at> drijf.net> writes:

> According to you previous message, you are getting a different
> behaviour on the 5.1 box. A segfault is not the same as running out of mem.

I agree. It seems strangely co-incidental though that bgpd on both version
of OpenBSD died within minutes of each other.

> As for the quitting problem: if a fatal error occurs, you don't have
> any other choice than to quit. A fatal error means the process cannnot
> be trusted any more. This is unsatisfactory, but the only way.

true.

> > to believe that this behaviour would have been tolerated by people
> > running bgpd in production all the way from the time of 4.3 to now.
> > Which leads to the only conclusion... I'm doing something stupid.
> > The question is what. I have ospfd and bgpd running. On the 5.1 box
> > there is also a CARP interface too (not an interface we are using ospfd on).
> >
> > -Matt
>
> There have been earlier reports of bgpd running out of mem or getting
> segfaults. In some cases that lead to fixing bugs. There might remain
> unsolved cases.
>
> Working with the developers is one way of getting problems resolved.
> Ranting about "I cannot believe this is happening" is not a
> constructive way to get closer to the solution.

Sorry if you mis-understood what I wrote. I was not ranting, I was pointing
out that as I can't believe it would be tolerated then it means I must be
doing something stupid, or different, or wrong.

-Matt