> Can we please differentiate GPT from EFI. GPT may be part of the EFI
> specification, but it's a standalone piece - implementing GPT is not going
> to restrict anyone's freedom to do what they want with a machine. Some
> possibilities EFI offers are more contentious..

You are turning it upside down.  Noone claimed that.

> GPT is a foregone conclusion unless you are blind to the future. The only
> alternative is OS specific disk hackery, and that does no-one any favours.
> Single disk 2TB+ partitions will not even attract comment inside the next 5
> years.

In OpenBSD on a non-GPT machine, I can have fifteen 2^48 block partitions
per disk, now.

GPT adds nothing that is neccesary.

> Several operating systems out there can happily read GPT disks using a non
> EFI BIOS (provided it's not necessary to boot from it), and even in the
> case where it's a GPT disk with a GPT only OS (i.e OS X Intel) on a non EFI
> BIOS, there are workarounds to get it to boot.

You are the only person talking about GPT being neccessary, and now you are
saying that is for other operating systems.

> Of course, it isn't /quite/ that simple. GPT is still fairly new, and
> whilst it's not too difficult to get a number of operating systems to boot
> from GPT, sharing a disk has a number of gotchas. Google is your friend for
> details here.

Sharing?  I specifically said that the normal user won't care.  That's
because the normal user does not install multiple operating systems
on a single disk.

> I can also say, having done it (and the fact it's not easily googleable)
> that although 'hybrid GPTs' (a GPT disk where the protective fake MBR is
> hacked to become a real MBR) are frowned upon (there is potential for
> breakage) it does work and it's even possible to hack in an extended
> partition (OpenBSD's Fdisk is much better than the alternatives for doing
> this piece of hackery). It's entirely possible to get a disk sharing
> OpenBSD, NetBSD, Linux, Vista Windows 7 and OS X without any of them
> overwriting data from the others. Just be careful.

GPT is required for large disk OS sharing?  Perhaps.  And, who cares?

> (for clarity, OS X was the only OS using a real GPT partition : everything
> else was on MBR, despite the fact that Windows 7/Vista SP2 x64 (not 32bit),
> Linux and NetBSD will boot from GPT partitions with appropriate hackery.
> Note that IIRC vanilla NetBSD 5.x will need a customised kernel to run from
> a hybrid MBR on GPT, otherwise it gets confused by the presence of a GPT
> header. The boot loader was the hackintosh chameleon with  Windows 7's
> partition manager as a slave (very flexible once you get to know it. Use
> easyBCD))

Before you, this conversation was not about multi-booting machines.  It
specifically excluded that case.