On Sun, Jun 3, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Peter Kay <syllops...@syllopsium.co.uk> wrote:
> Can we please differentiate GPT from EFI. GPT may be part of the EFI
> specification, but it's a standalone piece - implementing GPT is not going
> to restrict anyone's freedom to do what they want with a machine. Some
> possibilities EFI offers are more contentious..
>
> GPT is a foregone conclusion unless you are blind to the future. The only
> alternative is OS specific disk hackery, and that does no-one any favours.
> Single disk 2TB+ partitions will not even attract comment inside the next 5
> years.

it doesn't make sense to put my boot files / os on a 2tb file system.
whether or not this will eventually become a non-issue, i don't see
any oses significantly moving in the opposite direction. not even
windows 7 shys away from having a small boot partition. there's also
no os out there that benefits from having 2tb to move about the boot
partition, let alone to house system files. that could change but not
any time soon, and most definitely not in the next 5 years