Kostas Zorbadelos <kzo...@otenet.gr> writes:

> there is a need to restrict a specific type of DNS queries (ANY queries)
> in our nameservers. We faced a DDoS attack in our resolvers and the
> thing is that we could not simply cut access to DNS resolution to
> specific client IPs, the queries came from our own unsuspecting
> customers.

My first impulse when reading the sans diary item was to rate-limit,
possibly via the overload table mechanism, and if not blocking them
outright perhaps put the DNS requests from the overloads in a
minimal-bandwidth queue.  That may or may not be appropriate to your
context, and I suspect detection may be the main priority.

While string matching in PF is not an option, I vaguely remember snort
users coming up with patterns to match earlier DNS tomfoolery, so
there's a chance you may be able to get useful info and possibly even a
working snort setup to deal with this one.

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/