* Kostas Zorbadelos <kzo...@otenet.gr> [2012-06-09 18:02]:
> Henning Brauer <lists-open...@bsws.de> writes:
> > string matching to more or less random packets' payload in the kernel?
> > that is beyond insane.
> I am interested to know if this has caused problems in IPtables'
> setups. It sounds dangerous, however Linux systems provide the
> capability. I guess they have thought about consequences and hopefully
> somehow addressed them.

your guess is wrong... they might have been lucky so far, or not, I
don't follow all the itables bugs.

> > the proper solution is a small userland helper process, using divert-to
> > and maybe socket splicing.
> I am not sure we are talking about the same thing (you must have an
> implementation clearly in your mind ;-) ), but
> my feeling for a proper way to address this problem is via a
> userland application in a proxy or intercepting mode. This could filter
> the offending traffic and give to the nameserver the rest to
> service.

that is pretty much what it comes down to, tho writing these proxies
is very easy these days, using the techniques i mentioned above.

> I think you also talk about this (correct me if I am wrong). The main
> problem with it is that it needs to be developed :)

right.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP