> > On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 03:46:12PM -0700, Chris Cappuccio wrote:
> >> IIRC, Theo did the current design himself after everyone else failed to
> > come up with something good.
> >
> > Well, Theo had some rather fun constraints, like making a web site that
> > works
> > with antiquated browsers, like "no css".

I suppose you mean worked for all users. Priorities right I would have
thought. What works for all I guess is a moving target and is it
worth checking what that is when cool factor isn't required. OpenBSD
looks good even in IE6, for my sites I prefer looking good in
most browsers and don't care about the look on IE6 as long as function
isn't lost for IE6 users.

> > If that constraint gets lifted (Theo ? is your browser still stuck in 1990
> > ?),
> > then it would probably be possible to have something that looks the same /
> > looks better and less painful to change...
>
> CSS should fall back gracefully.  It works well enough with lynx
> anyway, where graphical positioning is useless.  Is netscape 4 still
> something we need to support?

CSS may not run on old Nokias for example and is only partially
implemented by even the newest phones. It can still be used selectively
without breaking anything as far as I am aware if desirable though.

 Why not do something good every day and install BOINC.