On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 09:50:41AM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> well my question wasn't about running x86 code under emulation on
> loongson, but running mips compiled programs on it relatively to x86
> compiled programs on x86.

The answer is "it depends".

It takes a long time to build certain apps that take no time at all to build
on x86. Running most apps don't show a perceptible difference. What is your
target use? I think the Fuloong makes a good webserver, a good ftp server, a
good NFS server, and probably a good mail server. It is probably NOT a good
database server, not a good build machine (but that is true of most
available MIPS boxes as well). It comes with 512M of RAM and feels similar
to me how my old Intel P4 600 MHz box used to run with NetBSD with the same
amount of RAM. You can get a lot of work done and it is a super stable and
reliable machine under OpenBSD. It is not a speed demon. Horses for courses.

Right now the console is slow. Running the box headless over SSH the
performance for my needs is fine. X over SSH performance is
acceptable. YMMV.

--
ASCII ribbon campaign ( ) Powered by Lemote Fuloong
 against HTML e-mail   X  Loongson MIPS and OpenBSD