On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 07:06:21PM +0200, Peter Laufenberg wrote:
> >Peter Laufenberg <open...@laufenberg.ch> wrote:
> >
> >> I want to set up a minimal mp3 Internet radio streamer directly on my
> >> PPPoE ADSL modem so it doesn't travel through the rest of the LAN and
> >> pollute logs,
> >
> >I don't understand that rationale.
>
> For Internet radio to feel as if I was listening to FM radio -- no/little
> impact on my LAN, works even if all my computers are off (except the Geode &
> modem), can be on all the time. I don't need or want visual feedback, fancy
> equalizers or mouse, just 2 accessible *physical* buttons. Picture a car
> mechanic with a crappy FM receiver if you will. The decoded audio signal
> plugs into the rest of my audio gear which is not PC-based.
>
> >> For play/stop & next controls I'd use a small USB gamepad-type or MIDI
> >> controller,
> >
> >That looks like the most difficult part, because offhand I have no
> >idea how to interface those input devices with a tty.
>
> The point is not to need tty or network client/server messaging.
> I query a USB device directly, never leaves the Geode. I've done
> more complex stuff before, www.hackerdjs.com, and have lots of
> gear just lying around, forget about that part it's a
> distraction.

I agree that the most natural interface would be to a simple knob
to select stations, possibly a knob for the volume, and possibly a
led to indicate the state.

If you have a nice usb midi controller with knobs and leds, and if
you are not scared by writing code, you could write a small program
to run & kill mpg321/mplayer/whatever instances depending of
current state of the controller. It's not complicated afaics.

IMHO some minimal feedback may be necessary, ex. to indicate
temporary connection failures. Leds on the MIDI controller or
playback of short and discrete .wav files could be used for that,
for instance.

Using directly libmad/libcurl rather than a player and submitting
audio data to the device could allow switching between stations to
be smoother. Example, start decoding the next station while the
previous is still playing, etc.

-- Alexandre