On Jul 23 11:00:19, Peter Laufenberg wrote:
> I want to set up a minimal mp3 Internet radio streamer directly on my Alix
> Geode 500 MHz gateway. The idea is to grab the data closest to my PPPoE ADSL
> modem so it doesn't travel through the rest of the LAN and pollute logs,
> assuming the decoder daemon is secure and not too demanding on the Alix.

Why exactly do you need to be playing the mp3 stream on your gateway?
Why cannot you run this on an inside machine?

> This Alix has no on-board audio but I have unused external audio interfaces
> from my bygone DJ days, some clearly overkill but none with built-in mp3
> decoder:

You should send a full dmesg.

>  USB 1.0 tiny Roland UA-1A 2-in/2-out, 16bit @ 48 kHz (2001)
>  USB 2.0 Roland UA-101 10-in/10-out, optical in/out, 24-bit @ 192 kHz (2005)
>  USB 2.0 M-Audio FastTrack Pro 4-in/4-out, coax in/out, 16-bit @ 96 kHz

I use the FastTrack without problems.

> For play/stop & next controls I'd use a small USB gamepad-type or MIDI
> controller, not via TCP messages, so it doesn't complicate pf rules. I cycle
> between 3 hardcoded stations using 128kbps CBR so that's the only codec I
> need.

I use 'play' from audio/sox. It supports internet mp3 streams
as simply as in 'play http://some.radio.org:1234/stream.mp3'.

I have written me a simple shell wrapper around this
to be able to use a predefined list of radio stations;
tweak to your needs:

http://stare.cz/OpenBSD/radio
http://stare.cz/OpenBSD/dot.radiorc

I don;t think you need any start/stop midi controlling - just
kill the proccess playing this and start another playing that.

> - stupid/dangerous idea?

no

> - what's the most nimble stream+mp3 solution?

I use audio/sox, but that also supports many other formats beside mp3,
so you might find something lighter that supports just mp3.
(Then plug it into the radio tool instead of 'play')

> - are there AMD Geode-specific instructions it can be recompiled with?

You are not gonna gain anything by looking for those.

        Jan