>Peter Laufenberg <open...@laufenberg.ch> wrote:
>
>> I want to set up a minimal mp3 Internet radio streamer directly on my
>> PPPoE ADSL modem so it doesn't travel through the rest of the LAN and
>> pollute logs,
>
>I don't understand that rationale.

For Internet radio to feel as if I was listening to FM radio -- no/little
impact on my LAN, works even if all my computers are off (except the Geode &
modem), can be on all the time. I don't need or want visual feedback, fancy
equalizers or mouse, just 2 accessible *physical* buttons. Picture a car
mechanic with a crappy FM receiver if you will. The decoded audio signal plugs
into the rest of my audio gear which is not PC-based.

>> For play/stop & next controls I'd use a small USB gamepad-type or MIDI
>> controller,
>
>That looks like the most difficult part, because offhand I have no
>idea how to interface those input devices with a tty.

The point is not to need tty or network client/server messaging. I query a USB
device directly, never leaves the Geode. I've done more complex stuff before,
www.hackerdjs.com, and have lots of gear just lying around, forget about that
part it's a distraction.

>> I cycle between 3 hardcoded stations using 128kbps CBR so that's the only
>> codec I need.
>>
>> - what's the most nimble stream+mp3 solution?
>
>mpg123 is probably the fastest one, although all of them will be
>fast enough.  With sndiod disabled, mpg123 playing a 128 kbps stream
>takes about 6% CPU on a Geode 500 MHz.  Double that if you need or
>want to run sndiod.  Playing 192 or 256 kbps streams makes barely
>any difference.

Ok I saw mpg321 picked up that project and depends on madlib like a ton of
other players. Sourceforge shows the most recent "mad" update in 2004 which I
assume means it's solid.

>> - are there AMD Geode-specific instructions it can be recompiled with?
>
>mpg123 actually comes with hand-crafted optimizations for a variety
>of x86 instruction set extensions.  It automatically picks an
>appropriate one at run time.  On the Geode, it defaults to the
>3DNowExt decoder.  But really, the Geode is already too fast for
>this to matter much.

Ok thx.

-- p