Thank you for asking.

I refreshed my system to -current as of 24. Sep 2012, so I now have
sbin/ipsecctl/ike.c   1.77

Following the suggestion of Stuard Henderson I start isakmpd as

isakmpd -K -T

Now I get the same behaviour as I have with OpenBSD 4.6. All configured VPNs
get connected.

So thanks for your help.

I still have some problems with some of the VPNs, i.e. some fail to
renegotiate after a while but I do not have the details yet for a decent
problem report.

Regards
Christoph