On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Mo Libden <m0lib...@mail.ru> wrote:
> Tue, 04 Sep 2012 03:36:50 -0400 от Ted Unangst <t...@tedunangst.com>:
>> On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 16:23, David Walker wrote:
>> > I've set the options in wsconsctl.conf to blank the screen which also
>> > works but this thing has I think what's called "a backlight" which
>> > means the screen constantly glows. I'm planning to go set this thing
>> > up, let the screen blank and close the lid.
>> > I'd like to remove the backlight and the eerie glow.
>> > I'm unfamiliar with laptops but I've tried zzz and apm -S both kill
>> > the backlight which is great but network functions cease, yes I did
>> > not know that.
>> > I also can't seem to bring it back up form either state short of a
>> > power cycle but that's moot.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to turn off the backlight?
>> > Is there anything else I can do to sedate this machine?
>>
>> I've never seen a laptop that kept the light on when the lid was
>> closed.  Is it really still on?
>
> Well I had this for YEARS on my Compaq NC6000.
> The only cure I found is to disable acpivideo.
> If acpivideo was loaded during boot time, the screen is lit even when the
lid is closed.
> I can even press the switch (it is mechanical), and the screen backlight is
not turned off if acpivideo was enabled.

Plan B would be to remove the screen altogether - if it needs
attention that you can't provide over the Internets, bring a monitor
or (if the Toshiba has a COM port) a laptop with a COM port and a null
modem cable.  Shoots the problem in the foot and cuts power
consumption too.

I've noticed Compaq NX6120s don't cut over to VGA automagically and
require you to do the Fn key magic to change to VGA, so keep that in
mind.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse