On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 12:42 PM, Aaron Mason <simplersolut...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Mo Libden <m0lib...@mail.ru> wrote:

>>> I've never seen a laptop that kept the light on when the lid was
>>> closed.  Is it really still on?
>>
>> Well I had this for YEARS on my Compaq NC6000.
>> The only cure I found is to disable acpivideo.
>> If acpivideo was loaded during boot time, the screen is lit even when the
lid is closed.
>> I can even press the switch (it is mechanical), and the screen backlight is
not turned off if acpivideo was enabled.

> Plan B would be to remove the screen altogether - if it needs
> attention that you can't provide over the Internets, bring a monitor
> or (if the Toshiba has a COM port) a laptop with a COM port and a null
> modem cable.  Shoots the problem in the foot and cuts power
> consumption too.
>
> I've noticed Compaq NX6120s don't cut over to VGA automagically and
> require you to do the Fn key magic to change to VGA, so keep that in
> mind.

Addendum: if you need a serial port, this one (
http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/USB-Solo-USB-to-Serial-DB9-with-Cab
le-44-in-111-76-cm/IC199A%C4%82R3
) is good and it works in OpenBSD, showing up as uftdi(4).

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse