On 09/15/13 01:01, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Alexander Hall <alexan...@beard.se> wrote:
On 09/15/13 00:41, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

I'm trying to add myself to sudoers. I used `su -` to get root, and
then `adduser jwalton sudo`.

What did you expect from that command? And why?
I'd expect the user jwalton to be added to the sudo group. Its seems
like a reasonable expectation to me.

I don't know the base for your expectations, but I'm afraid they are invalid.

man adduser

Now I'm stuck a loop of:

    Enter username[]:

When I try and add my name, I'm told its there. When I try to <RETURN>
(no name), I looped back to the prompt. I have to break out with a ^C.

After the ^C break and exit from root, I'm told I'm not in sudoers again.

How does one use adduser in OpenBSD?

I'd say you use it to add users, but since your user name already existed
you could not. It makes sense to me.
When I cat /etc/sudoers, its not there.

adduser(8) adds system users, which are defined in /etc/master.passwd (and /etc/password). For these users, specific configuration may or may not exist in /etc/sudoers. /etc/sudoers does not define local user accounts.

The question is what you really wanted to do.
I wanted to add myself to the sudo group.

There is no spoon. Or group named sudo for that matter, unless you created it yourself, which I suspect you didn't.

I'm not a BSD admin - I'm just a dumb user. So I'm probably doing
something wrong. I just haven't figured out what it is.

As pointed out, you expect OpenBSD to behave and be configured in the same way as some other system you recently used. That is not necessarily true.

man and apropos are your friends. Probably the FAQ, too.

Happy hunting!

/Alexander