Hi there,

having a personal dislike of Facebook (and the MeeToo-systems alike)
for their impertinent sniffing for private data I tried on my laptop to
block facebook.com via hosts-file. Interestingly this failed: Calling
"http://www.facebook.com"; always resulted in a lookup for
"httpS://www.facebook.com" and the respective site showed up in the
browser (tried firefox and xombrero).

Well: Beside excepting the fact that those facebook engineers did a
fine job circumventing the entrys in /etc/hosts I felt immediatly
insecure: The reports on this company's attitude towards even
non-customers privacy are legendary. Their respective track record
earns them the honorable title of "NSA's fittest supporter"...

Anyway: I think I finally managed to block all their IPs via PF and on
this laptop I now feel a little less 'observed'. [Yes, I know - this is
just today's snapshot of IPs!]

My question is on the squid-server I have running at home: What
would make more sense - blocking facebook.com via pf.conf alike or are
there reasons to use squid's ACL instead? Performance? Being
ultra-paranoid and implementing both (or even additionally the
hosts-file-block?)? From my understanding squid should not be able to
block https-traffic as it is encrypted - or am I wrong here?

Curious if there is a particular (Open)BSD solution or simply how you
'guys and gals' would do it.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Cheers,
STEFAN