Hi Andres,

yes - I have read about OpenDNS' services and that many out there are
really happy with them.

But I try to do my homework first before relying on s.o.
else: I _do_ have this OpenBSD-based squid-server - why not use it to
it's full potential? Might not be a big deal traffic-wise, but it
adds up...

Anyway - thank you for sharing.

Regards,
STEFAN

Am Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:42:31 -0500
schrieb Andres Genovez <andresgeno...@gmail.com>:

> Regards,
>
> The way it gets blocked (but not all for a wise kid) properly is via
> CDIR and block DNS via OpenDNS services
>

> Greetings.
>

> 2013/10/18 Stefan Wollny <stefan.wol...@web.de>
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > having a personal dislike of Facebook (and the MeeToo-systems alike)
> > for their impertinent sniffing for private data I tried on my
> > laptop to block facebook.com via hosts-file. Interestingly this
> > failed: Calling "http://www.facebook.com"; always resulted in a
> > lookup for "httpS://www.facebook.com" and the respective site
> > showed up in the browser (tried firefox and xombrero).
> >
> > Well: Beside excepting the fact that those facebook engineers did a
> > fine job circumventing the entrys in /etc/hosts I felt immediatly
> > insecure: The reports on this company's attitude towards even
> > non-customers privacy are legendary. Their respective track record
> > earns them the honorable title of "NSA's fittest supporter"...
> >
> > Anyway: I think I finally managed to block all their IPs via PF and
> > on this laptop I now feel a little less 'observed'. [Yes, I know -
> > this is just today's snapshot of IPs!]
> >
> > My question is on the squid-server I have running at home: What
> > would make more sense - blocking facebook.com via pf.conf alike or
> > are there reasons to use squid's ACL instead? Performance? Being
> > ultra-paranoid and implementing both (or even additionally the
> > hosts-file-block?)? From my understanding squid should not be able
> > to block https-traffic as it is encrypted - or am I wrong here?
> >
> > Curious if there is a particular (Open)BSD solution or simply how
> > you 'guys and gals' would do it.
> >
> > Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > STEFAN