Peter Fraser <p...@thinkage.ca> writes:

> For years I have a had Debian system that ran BackupPC.
> The system was used to back up a bunch of Windows workstations and servers.
> The Debian system self-destructed when doing a update.

I must admit this is the first I heard of BackupPC, but since this
sounds like at time when some grunt work is to be expected anyway, I
thought it may not be totally useless to recommend looking at a
different backup product.

The only backup system I've actually ever enjoyed working with is
Bacula (in packages, and it supports a wide range of systems,
including the Seattle-area ones). More complicated than tar or rsync
for sure, but it scales and is in my experience at least a very
admin-friendly solution.

- Peter

http://bsdly.blogspot.com/ http://www.bsdly.net/ http://www.nuug.no/