BackupPC has an account _backuppc on OpenBSD (backuppc on Debian) which has to
have permissions on the system that it is backing up.
LDAP is the one responsible for granting the permissions.

Configuration within BackupPC (a pain) is specifies what a user can see in the
backups and what a user can restore.

The busy file problem occurs when using a Windows system not a Unix system.
Using a Windows system there is no way to look at an open file
unless shadow copies are used and you are not going to use that more than once
a day. I tried to create a shadow copy before a backup
but I found created shadow copies unreliable with too many random errors. I
probably should try again to use shadow copies before a backup, hoping that
Microsoft has fixed the problems, but I haven't done it. My backups are taken
early in the morning and rarely is any one a computer. Also the
shadow copy has special deals with things like Exchange and the MS-SQL giving
the net effect you can't use shadow to get a copy of the database anyway.

As far a dump and rsync.,I didn't say there were no other ones. I gave a
reasonable google search.  You can try it.
 I would have expected you to say rsnapshot which is a good package. I use it
to back up my DMZ machines (all OpenBSD).
Backing up Windows machines is my problem; I want it automated and fool proof
as possible.