Thus said "Peter J. Philipp" on Tue, 24 Dec 2013 17:33:10 +0000:

> I was browsing  http://chealth.canoe.ca when I saw the  above log. I'm
> supposing the resolver looks  up chealth.canoe.ca, and then eventually
> does  a lookup  for chealth.canoe.ca.centroid.eu.  centroid.eu is  the
> domain I configured in resolv.conf by means of DHCP.

You have a some options:

1) Change  your habits  to use  a fully qualified  domain name;  e.g., a
domain  name that  ends with  a final/trailing  dot. chealth.cano.ca  is
ambiguous (perhaps not in your brain, but to a computer, it doesn't know
that  you  really mean  chealth.canoe.ca.  which  is absolute).  So  use
http://chealth.canoe.ca./ (note the trailing dot).

2) Don't  configure a search  option in /etc/resolv.conf as  each domain
listed  in the  search  is appended  to  the query  in  order. E.g.,  if
you  have centroid.eu  and  google.com  in your  search,  then your  DNS
resolver will take chealth.canoe.ca  and append centroid.eu., attempt to
resolve  it but  fail. Then  it  will take  chealth.canoe.ca and  append
google.com., attempt  to resolve it but  fail, and then finally  it will
try chealth.canoe.ca.,  attempt to resolve  it and receive  a successful
response.

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 4000000052b9ecb0