On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM, Peter J. Philipp <p...@centroid.eu> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 10:25:06AM -0500, Kenneth R Westerback wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 02:37:47PM +0100, Peter J. Philipp wrote:
>> > I'm trying to track down the code in the libasr that causes this behaviour:
>> >
>> > Whenever I go to a IPv4 site and IPv6 query is made for domain+mydomain
>> > like a search.  So with logging turned on, on my nameserver I get this:
>> >
>> > pjp@americas$ grep canoe.ca.centroid.eu /var/log/all
>> > Dec 20 17:00:37 americas wildcarddnsd[29850]: request on descriptor 17
>> > interface "em0" from 212.114.242.132 (ttl=54, region=255) for
>> > "chealth.canoe.ca.centroid.eu." type=AAAA(28) class=1, answering "NXDOMAIN"
>> >
>> > The problem is that my nameservers are in china and latin america and
>> > I'M sorta worried about these leaks.  This particular log came from my
>> > nameserver in panama and the packet passes miami.
>>
>> I'm not clear on what the leak you are worried about is.
>>
>> .... Ken
>
> Hi Ken, Merry Christmas!
>
> I was browsing http://chealth.canoe.ca when I saw the above log.  I'm
> supposing
> the resolver looks up chealth.canoe.ca, and then eventually does a lookup for
> chealth.canoe.ca.centroid.eu.  centroid.eu is the domain I configured in
> resolv.conf by means of DHCP.

a FQDN ends with a period

this tells a correctly functioning dns subsystem--"correctly" being
subject to your willingness to abide a collection of rfcs, all the way
from local binaries to remote hosts[0]--that you wish to resolve that
name sans transformations

the ``search'' keyword in resolv.conf is a suffix that may be appended
to unqualified domain names prior resolving them to ip addresses

1. check if you are really configuring the appropiate settings. some
programs, eg dig, willfully ignore the search keyword by default. some
browsers use their own resolvers

2. clear the ``search`` keyword:

$ echo 'search .' >> /etc/resolv.conf.tail
# dhclient $INTERFACE