On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 09:03:13PM +0200, Kārlis Miķelsons wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After upgrading from OpenBSD 5.3 to OpenBSD 5.4 I've got problems with
> non-utf8 characters in mutt email client. It worked just fine until
> upgrade, but after upgrade it doesn't show non-ascii characters in
> subject or body if email message is non-utf8 (tried it with iso-8859-13,
> windows-1257, koi8-r charsets, none of them display correctly).
>
> In email messages that are UTF-8 encoded all characters display fine.
> It seems that mutt stopped converting other charsets to utf8. I
> exprience same issue on both i386 and amd64, by using xterm or
> rxvt-unicode. I haven't changed anything regarding X.org or mutt
> configuration.
>
> I've made sure that these files were rm'ed after upgrading to 5.4:
>   /usr/share/locale/*.*
>   /usr/share/locale/de_AT
>
> Any ideas what could be wrong?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Karlis

Latin1 mail with umlauts and sz in sender's name mail body renders
fine here in mutt in xterm in the UTF-8 locale. So you should be
able to get it to work. I suspect misconfiguration rather than a bug,
though a bug is of course a possibility.

What does your local configuration look like?
Are you aware of http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq10.html#locales ?

Do you have any charset-related options in muttrc, like 'set charset'
or 'set assumed_charset'? Mutt should be able to auto-detect such
settings nowadays. Does adding 'set rfc2047_parameters=yes' help?

If none of this helps, can you (privately) forward or bounce mail
to me that fails to display correctly?